Dangerous Human Food

Dangerous Human Food to NOT FEED Your Puppy

It's hard to say no to those puppy eyes when your lovable Goldendoodle puppy is begging for a bite of your food. But knowing which types of human food are not safe for your dog is one of the most important responsibilities of a dog owner. From upset tummies and discomfort to serious symptoms and illnesses, feeding a puppy human food can lead to health consequences, expensive vet visits and even the loss of a pet.

The list below is here to serve as a guide to safe pet ownership when there's a hungry fluff ball in your life — and a curiosity that knows no bounds. Any dog owner can tell you that dogs love to eat, and even an adult dog must be supervised when there is food around. So not only will you need to actively avoid feeding these foods to your dog, but you need to make sure they are not accessible to your dog at any time. With a little discipline and some force of habit, you'll get the hang of it quickly — and keep dangerous human foods away from your dog like it's second nature. Below is a list of human food that is dangerous for your dog.

F1 Minature Goldendoodle Laying Down On Couch


Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which humans have a tolerance for but one that causes immediate toxicity in dogs. Theobromine can lead to a range of symptoms in dogs including vomiting, diarrhea, thirst, tummy pain, frequent urination, irregular heartbeat, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, lethargy, restlessness, seizures and death.

Symptoms of theobromine poisoning in dogs typically occur between 4 to 24 hours after ingestion. It's important to note that dark chocolate has much higher levels of theobromine than milk chocolate and white chocolate, which makes it significantly more dangerous. Of course, you should always avoid feeding your puppy chocolate altogether to ensure their safety.


Caffeine is another poisonous chemical for dogs and can be found in chocolate, chocolate-containing products, coffee, tea, certain breakfast cereals, sodas and coffee-flavored ice cream. Caffeine is a member of the methylxanthines family of substances, of which the theobromine found in chocolate is also a member. Caffeine ingestion in dogs can lead to similar symptoms as in the case of theobromine ingestion and should always be avoided. Because chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine, it's extremely important to keep chocolate out of your puppy's reach.

The Onion Family: Onions, Garlic, Chives, Shallots and Scallions

The onion family (Amaryllidaceae) is poisonous to dogs and includes onions as well as garlic, chives, shallots and scallions. While the onion family has some notable health benefits in people, it has the complete opposite effect on our pups. These foods contain certain compounds that are toxic to both dogs and cats, and can cause gastroenteritis, damage to red blood cells, anemia and associative conditions such as organ failure. If your dog has eaten any of these vegetables, the symptoms may not appear for several days. Symptoms of onion or garlic poisoning in dogs include off-colored urine (orange or red) and lethargy. Keep in mind that no type of onion family vegetable is safe for doggie consumption whether it's cooked, dehydrated, powdered or otherwise — so keep the pup away from the leftover pizza and other foods containing any traces of the onion family.


Xylitol is a common artificial sweetener found in sugar-free candy, gum, baked goods and diet snacks as well as in certain toothpaste, mouthwash, cough drops and chewable vitamins. Xylitol is considered extremely toxic to dogs and can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia (reduced blood sugar), blood-clotting disorders and liver failure. Symptoms of xylitol ingestion in dogs include vomiting, loss of coordination, lethargy and seizures, which may occur immediately after ingestion or after a period of several hours.

Grapes & Raisins

You should never feed grapes or raisins to a dog and always supervise them around food that contains them — even in the smallest amounts (like fruit loaf and grandma's pecan pie). Grapes and raisins are a bit of a mystery when it comes to our pups. Some doggies can get away with eating them while others experience toxicity that can eventually lead to kidney failure. Symptoms of grape and raisin ingestion in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy within 12 hours. If dogs experiencing grape or raisin poisoning do not receive immediate treatment, it can lead to dehydration and kidney failure in just days. Dogs with existing health problems are particularly at risk to the effects of grape and raisin poisoning. It's best not to find out if your puppy can tolerate these foods and avoid them altogether.


Alcohol is literally a poison — and the doggie metabolism is just not cut out for a drink. It's even more toxic to our pups than it is to us, and a drunk dog may be the least of your worries when it happens. Alcohol in dogs can lead to symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, disorientation, excessive panting, high body temperature, breathing difficulties, central nervous system depression, tremors, blood damage, coma and death. If your dog has ingested alcohol or you suspect they might be under the influence, seek immediate help from an animal poison control center.

F1 Minature Goldendoodle Twin Posed with Mirror Reflection

Yeast Dough (Raw Bread Dough)

Uncooked bread dough can pose a significant health risk in dogs. When ingested, yeast dough can begin to rise in a dog's digestive system and lead to bloating, stomach expansion, blockage, digestive tissue damage and life-threatening consequences. Yeast also produces alcohol as a byproduct, which, as you've just read, is extremely toxic to dogs.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts can cause a temporary illness in pups with symptoms such as vomiting, weakness, paralysis, high body temperature and tremors lasting 1-2 days.


“Give the dog a bone” is a saying we've all heard, but it's actually not the best idea. Dogs love to chew — which is exactly why there are a world of chew toys and dog chews that your pup will love and chew safely. Real bones pose a choking hazard to dogs because they can splinter or get stuck in their throats and digestive systems when swallowed as well as damage their teeth during chewing. Take special care if you choose to offer your pup meat that contains bones, which is generally not recommended for the reasons above.

Moldy Food

Dogs can react badly to mold toxins (mycotoxins) found in stale bread and leftover foods that have seen better days. Always keep the trashcan out of your puppy's reach and moldy food out of their diet, which can cause mycotoxin poisoning and symptoms such as vomiting, excessive drooling, high body temperature, ataxia, tachycardia, twitching, tremors and seizures within hours of ingestion.

Milk and Dairy Products

Most dogs are lactose intolerant and are unable to properly digest dairy products such as milk and cheese. Ingestion can lead to symptoms such as upset tummy, vomiting and diarrhea.

Blue Cheese

Unlike other dairy products that may cause indigestion and symptoms of lactose intolerance, blue cheese is actually dangerous for dogs. Blue cheese contains something called roquefortine C, which is a known toxin in dogs. Blue cheese ingestion among dogs can lead to symptoms that include vomiting, diarrhea, high body temperature, twitching, tremors and seizures.

Corn on the Cob

You shouldn't feed your dog corn on the cob for the same reason you shouldn't feed them bones. Unlike a person, your pup won't stop chewing when the corn is gone, and can end up swallowing pieces of the cob which can result in intestinal problems and blockage. Your pup might have swallowed something too big to digest if they are vomiting, have no appetite, aren't pooping and are showing signs of discomfort.

Raw Meat and Eggs

While a bloody steak might sound like the perfect thing to feed your dog, it's important to keep in mind that domesticated dogs and wild animals are not the same — and that your pup can get sick from the bacteria that raw food harbors. You also don't want to feed your dog raw eggs, which contain avidin — an enzyme that reduces B-vitamin absorption and can cause skin, fur and health problems in dogs.

F1 Minature Goldendoodle Looking Off to the Side with A Serious Grin

Human Snack Food

Salty human snack foods such as chips, popcorn and many others can be very unhealthy for dogs and cause salt poisoning which can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, twitching, tremors, high body temperature, seizures and death when consumed in large amounts. A general rule of thumb is that anything you might feel guilty about eating is probably also bad for your dog!

If your puppy or dog has consumed any of the above foods or you suspect ingestion may have taken place, call a local veterinarian or animal poison control center right away and seek immediate treatment in the case of symptoms.

After Human Food we must be mindful of Additives and Ingredients to STAY AWAY from that are commonly found in Puppy Food and Treats. We go into great detail about this in Harmful Ingredients which takes an in depth look into what these are and why you should be mindful of them when shopping for Your Pup!